What Internet Speed Do I Need in 2022?
Majority of us tend to get an internet plan similar to that of either our friend, family member or neighbour. What we don’t realize is, our internet needs could differ just like everything else. While it is extremely important to know the number of devices and users at home, it’s equally crucial to know what internet speed you need.
Now, if you happen to be someone who’s unsure about what internet speed you would need, let us assure you, you’ve come to the right place.
In today’s post, we are going to discuss factors such as usage and requirements that will help you decide the speed that’s best for you.
Before we jump into further details, here’s a table to give you a better estimation.
|Number of devices||Usage/Activity||Recommended Download Speed|
|3-5||Gaming||120 mbps +|
|1-3||Streaming||80 mbps +|
|2-4||Netflix||50 mbps +|
|2-5||Work From Home & Zoom||100 mbps +|
Please note, the availability of a plan will depend on which province you live in.
What internet speed do I need for gaming?
A question that has crossed every gamer’s mind at least a hundred times if not more. Yes, we’re telepathic like that!
We’re going to crack the code in the simplest, most explicit way. The type of gaming console you use also determines your internet speed.
Below is a table featuring PlanHub recommended internet plans along with download and upload speed to help you understand the speed you would need for gaming.
|Gaming Console||Download Speed||Upload Speed||Ping Speed||PlanHub Plans|
|PS4/PS5||16Mbps||4Mbps||Less than 50 ms||see plans|
|XBox One||15-25Mbps||4Mbps||Less than 50 ms||see plans|
|Nintendo Switch||15-25Mbps||4Mbps||Less than 50 ms||see plans|
|PC/Mac||15-25Mbps||5Mbps||Less than 50 ms||see plans|
What Internet Speed do I Need For Streaming?
There are various forms of streaming media content – either recorded or live. For instance, streaming a live video of an influencer on a social media platform would require higher internet speed vs that of a podcast or online music.
The question still remains – What speed do I need for streaming?
Well, to make things a tad clear, here’s a tabular representation of types of streaming along with their recommended internet speed.
|Types of Streaming||Recommended Internet Speed||PlanHub Internet Plans|
|4K live||50Mbps||see plans|
What Internet Speed is Required For Netflix?
It can be extremely frustrating when you’ve ordered take-out and all you want to do is chill and unwind to an amazing show if only your internet speed cooperated.
So does that mean you don’t have the right speed?
Let’s discuss what internet speed is required for Netflix.
When we talk about speed for streaming, we’re usually referring to the download speed. In other words, when you’re trying to watch a series on Netflix, the information is being downloaded from the net.
Below are some pointers one can use as reference when considering speed for Netflix.
- 20-25Mbps speed is perfect for two to three people who like to watch their shows in HD quality on multiple devices.
- 30Mbps plus internet speed would suffice for multiple people streaming videos in Ultra-HD or 4K quality on Netflix.
What Internet Speed do I Need for Zoom and to Work From Home
After the pandemic hit us, our reliance on steady internet connection suddenly grew.
Majority of us are no longer traveling to work, and have our home offices set up to virtually engage with our teammates. Well, who would have thought?
So, what internet speed do you need for Zoom and to work from home then?
While the work from home situation could be temporary for some, there’s presumably a bunch of us going to be working permanently from home or have kids who are learning remotely. Which is to say, one will need a reliable internet connection suited for telecommuting.
It can be severely annoying having to check with your colleagues or even boss to see if you’re audible or visible every few minutes.
Lucky for you, we have the answer!
- Step one should always be to check your internet speed.
- If the speed test shows that your connection isn’t as fast as you would like it to be, then you might want to check if there are certain downloads or heavy softwares running simultaneously that could be consuming your bandwidth.
- It’s important to know the nature of your work. If you need internet for sending and receiving mails, audio conferencing on just one device, you would only need about 3Mbps of download and upload speed.
- For work that requires video conferencing or uploading or downloading large files like videos, one would easily need 10Mbps of download speed.
- If there are multiple people working from home in the same household, a download speed of 25Mbps and higher is suitable.
Ultimately what you need to keep in mind is the cumulative usage of the internet at the same time.
How Much Internet Speed do I Need Calculator
Getting sort of an accurate picture of how much internet speed you need based on your internet requirements and usage is the way to go.
But how does one evaluate and calculate how much speed is needed?
Below are some questions to keep in mind while estimating your requirements.
- Are there multiple people in the same household using the internet for various activities?
- How many devices are connected to the internet at the same time?
- What is every individual’s internet usage/need in the same household?
Eventually, understanding how every member in your household will be using the internet along with the connected devices will help you determine your speed requirement.
The next obvious step would be to find the best internet provider in Canada to meet your needs.
Finally, it’s important to know what you need the internet for. And that’s why we’re here!
Our goal at PlanHub is to not only help you make informed decisions about internet plans but to also help you understand the services you pay for.
So go ahead, find the perfect internet plan for your diverse needs because it’s certainly a child’s play!